Wednesday 11 April 2012

Enjoy the Small Stuff!


Enjoying the Small Stuff :)
So...it's coming up to my 3rd month on crutches and finally at the 'good' end of the 7 months of health 'challenges' - I wanted to share some things I have learnt along the way!
I've learnt an awful lot while on them.  Some things I already knew but had them reinforced, some are brand new.  Either way...thought I'd share them.

1. Everyone has their own problems; yours are no more; yours are no more than theirs. 
Some of those I hoped for some form of help from, didn't.  Or...like an air kiss, pretended to in a way that made them feel better but nothing substantial that made me feel they cared.  But...I guess it made me realise that nowadays, everyone has stuff going on and it's not always about yourself.  Taught me that even though I really want to help others, not everyone feels the same or has the opportunity...and I can't complain about it! Rather than focus on those who didn't meet 'hopes'....I'm grateful for those who did!
2. Kindness comes from unexpected places. 
We've lived on our Street for 8 years or so now.  One Neighbour who we wave to each other but have never spoken or introduced ourselves...turned up with home-made Banana Bread (yum!!!) the other day.  She saw I was on crutches and decided to make some for me.  To this day I am still touched by that beyond words.
3. It's not all about you.....be grateful for those who care!
They are precious. You know who you are :)
4. Yes ..... you CAN!
The first while I was not able to do much.  Then I got sick of that. Rather than focussing on what I couldn't do....I decided to start with what I COULD do.  I MUST work out or it's like I've had my right arm cut off.  I decided to go to the gym and see what I could do.  It was amazing!  Not only did it help me physically (I believe this is why my leg is improving), but mentally also.  I can't wait to get there and challenge myself more each time!!!  I'm happier, stronger and willing to do more!!
5. Appreciate, appreciate, appreciate!!!
Sitting in the hospital as I awaited tests, I would watch the goings-ons.  I would be able to hobble out of there at the end of my tests and down the road get rid of my crutches and eventually be able to do all I could do before.  Being there reinforced that some people won't have those luxuries.  Man....do I appreciate so much more.
6. Love, Smile, ENJOY!!!
With all I have learnt I am smiling more, showing my happiness more, understanding more and not so fast to judge a bad driver for instance. If they are doing something stupid, perhaps they have a child in the backseat who needed them...perhaps they just got awful news and are heading somewhere frantically - unable to think straight. Or...perhaps they just had a moment of driving stupidly!  I feel far more peaceful now that I try and understand more.
7. Half Full?  Or...half Empty??
So many sweet people I bump into (I try to leave no bruising!!! :) state their sympathy and how awful it must be on crutches...with the pain. Nope!  I look at this as a period where I had (am having) challenges with my health but you get stronger with it all.  Definitely Half Full!  Big believer in positive thinking and although perhaps I have had some days feeling a bit sorry for myself, it soon passes.  Those days I tend to see someone blind trying to cross a street...or someone else in a wheelchair...for good.  Can't help but realise crutches for a few months or so is no problem whatsoever!!!

My message?  Half Full all the way!!!
My aim is to help Women and girls feel empowered and better about themselves through the whole gammut that is fitness; mind, body, soul........SHINE

No comments:

Post a Comment