Friday 26 October 2012

Breakfast with a bonus!

I am totally honoured to be a Member of a fantastic Group of Women, known as W.I.N. More than a Networking Group (of approx 15 Firecrackers!), it is a Resource Group: from National Executives of Foundations, to a Superintendent of Education.....a Lawyer, Commercial Banker, Business Owners, Life Coach and so much more. And yes...like you...I wonder how the heck I got invited to become a Member years ago!! I ALWAYS leave our monthly Breakfasts feeling inspired, invigorated and like a naughty child caught taking a cookie! I'm amongst some wonderful Women who after all these years I'm honoured to call my Friends! More than a Resource Group though.....we have also become a Sisterhood: friendships being forged, support of each other through trying times and yet more support and celebrations through our successes! We always end ur year at a Summer Retreat which one Member holds - since she has a beautiful, summer property to offer. We have a catered dinner, stay overnight and enjoy each other's company in a relaxed setting!

I love it!

Today, we were lucky enough to have Martha Powell, President and C.E.O. Of London Community Foundation join us.  While we enjoyed listening to her in the gorgeous surroundings of The River Room at Museum London (I definitely recommend the River Room!), she opened our eyes up to not only the wonderful work the Foundation carries out....but of the many, perhaps hidden, issues that London faces...such as the stat that 12.8% of children IN London live in poverty - compared with the National average of 8.2% in Canada! (2010, Statistics Canada). Also... 20.1% of adults in London are obese....with the National average being 18%.  So many eye-opening stats were relayed to us it was surprising.

The great side to this was realizing the Foundation is there and trying to change the stats and improve London. Not only that, but you can only imagine the interesting, in-depth discussions Martha's Presentation brought forth from us all!

What came through (as it does time and again to me) is how passionate we (all)  women are about helping. How supportive of each other we are...and how strong we are! It's truly wonderful to see. To know there are women (and Men too...but my Blog is on the support of Women today!) such as Martha at the helm of such Projects...and after having our discussions as we did..the ideas, thoughts, and wish to help is so strong....made me not only proud to be from this wonderful City...but to also be a part of the amazing Women's Business Communitywe are lucky to have!

I know my Husband and I are stepping up our Community's involvement this year...and I have thoughts milling around about what I want to do to help children....what did come through is how do we get the Generation Y to feel more in need to help and get involved! It seems the advent of social media has made it harder to get them involved. If you have a teen...perhaps ask them what would make them want to help? What are they passionate about.....what pulls at their heart strings most.  It's a question worth asking...I know I'll be asking our Son......there are so many wonderful 'Y's helping already...how great to add to the group!

So much was discussed today...too many subjects to mention....but...what a way to start a Friday and go into the weekend!  Hopefully you belong to an inspiring Group yourself...I know there are so many out there...getting so much done! It certainly makes you want to do more hearing the plights of some...and it's good to be reminded that help is always needed.

Go W.I.N go!

Shine on...

No comments:

Post a Comment